Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:14:42 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strangeness in 2.2-ALPHA with multicast traffic

I'm running mrouted and the multicast applications all on one machine,
with a de0 and an ed0, the ed0 is disabled for multicast.  I am seeing
two oddities:

1) If I have "vat" running on a group, and run "tcpdump", tcpdump shows
lots of non-IP traffic which is actually the multicast data but mangled.
If I quit the "vat", tcpdump goes back to showing the traffic as multicast
IP.

2) Multicast group memberships sometimes simply disappear, I haven't been
able to figure out what can trigger this.  I also haven't been able to do
much debugging because somehow the multicast group membership stuff never
made it into netstat.

Is anyone else having problems like this?  These are relatively major
bugs and I don't think a release should ship with them.  I never
experienced them in -stable .

  Bill