Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 11:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a porters handbook

> From owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG Sat Apr 22 22:51:04 2000
> To: doc@FreeBSD.ORG
> Cc: ports@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Building a porters handbook
> From: asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
> Date: 22 Apr 2000 22:50:22 -0700

>  * Per an earlier discussion on -doc, I'd like to pull section 4.4 of the
>  * Handbook ("Making a port yourself") out of the Handbook and in to a
>  * new "Porter's Handbook".
>
> That sounds like a good idea.
>
> Please put a link to the new handbook in the original handbook though,
> there are many documents (including some printed ones) that refer to
> "http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/porting.html" and we don't want
> people who go there to get "not found".
>
>  * It's believed that most readers of the Handbook won't be creating ports,
>  * so this section is 60 or so pages they'll not need.  In the Handbook it
>  * can be replaced with "If you would like to learn more about the ports
>  * systems, or would like to create a port and submit it to the project,
>  * please see the _Porter's Handbook_".
>
> Does this mean that the porters guide section doesn't get published
> anymore, or is it going to be published as a separate book?
>
>  * I'll do this mechanically (so the translators won't have much work to do).
>
> Thanks.  BTW, please ask the cvs-meisters for a repository copy so we
> won't lose history.
>
>  * In the future, I expect that some of the port's specific stuff in the
>  * "Committer's Guide" (damn, should've called it the "Committer's Handbook")
>  * can migrate here as well, as can any nitty-gritty ports details that
>  * you might have thought to be inappropriate for the Handbook.
>
> No, the (new) porter's handbook is for people creating or upgrading
> ports, not committers.  The stuff in the committer's guide is
> something that is specific to committers and committers are required
> to read the committer's guide every now and then.  For the benefit of
> people who only commit ports once in a while (and work elsewhere most
> of the time), I think they should be kept separate.
>
> Satoshi

As a person who has to port/translate/run stuff on multiple different systems,
I plead with you to keep all of the documentation in the same publication.
Putting the 'making a port' stuff in another document simply makes it HARDER
to find this information in a printed form.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   858-874-6543 FAX 858-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)