Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 20:47:07 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

> > What about the software to move the pic(s) to the pc?
> There are various things in the Ports Collection.  I personally use a
> camera with Compact Flash memory (a Nikon CoolPix 880, which I quite
> like).  I insert the CF card into a PCMCIA adaptor and mount it on my
> laptop as an MS-DOS file system.

I do something similar, although I found that not all compact flash
cards work.  I have one which I cannot mount.  When I insert it, I get
the message:
pccardd[110]: Card "CF"("032MB") [] [(null)] has function ID 4
(I just tired it on a system running 4.3-STABLE as of May 7).
Someday I'll dig through the source to see what this means.

My three other CF cards all work fine.  The morals?
  + Learn to write entries for /etc/pccard.conf; every one of my CF
    cards is different, even the two sold by the same company.
  + Just because you can't get one card to work doesn't mean they all
    won't work.
Using a PCMCIA adaptor with the CF is really the way to go.

--
Kenneth Ingham
ingham@i-pi.com