Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:25:59 -0500
From:      "A. Wright" <wright.546@osu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Lockup on boot

If this list is not appropriate for this question, please direct me to the
correct one.

I recently purchased 2 SMC2632 wireless PCI adapter cards, and put them in
my desktop machine, which is a really old Compaq Prolenia 5500, on which I
have FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p1 installed.  The problem
I have is this: When I boot up, it freezes up after these two lines:

pcib7: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci7: <PCI bus> on pcib7

I eventually got the machine to boot by taking out both cards and booting up
normally.  Then shutting down, putting both cards back in and starting up
again, at which time the machine boots without a problem.  However, if I
need to reboot again, it will freeze after the same 2 lines, and I have to
take both cards out, reboot normally.... etc.  This is consistant behavior.
It freezes at the same place if I just put 1 of the cards in, though I
haven't established any particular pattern with just 1 card, but I assume
it's the same as with both cards.

I've done some research and I've already tried what is suggested in section
2.1.6 of this page: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.4R/relnotes-i386.html
I've also looked for some PnP settings in my BIOS, but the machine was made
in the mid-90's, and doesn't have any PnP options that I can find.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.  I was planning on buying a new box,
but wanted to check with this list to see if there was anything else I could
try.

Thanks!
Aaron