Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:32:54 -0600
From:      "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

At 08:21 PM 3/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Brian Woodruff wrote:
>
>> My business partner just spent three hours trying to install 3.1 STABLE
>> onto a new system, and always got "bad format" errors (or something
>> similar) when we tried to load the kernel upon boot.
>>
>> When we switched to the 3.0 CD-ROM, the system loaded and booted fine.
>> In every case, we used the "minimum" configuration. My partner and I
>> have both performed dozens of successful installations in the past, both
>> via net and CD. I can only assume that 3.1 STABLE is not suitable for
>> release.
>
>I found that 3.1-RELEASE was very sensitive to floppy disk quality.  I
>formatted the disks on Win95 with verify on, and threw out any disk with
>even a single bad sector, and that got it to work.

I didn't install off a floppy - I booted off a CD and installed off
ftp5.freebsd.org

I subsequently installed successfully off of the same CD, so I know that is
not an issue.

Also, yes, since the image files are mapping by cluster, you must have
perfect media in order to get a useful set of install disks, if you have to
install off of floppies. Fortunately, I have bandwidth on my side, and
don't have to go through such pains!

BDW