Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:48:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   docs/7437: IPFW doco unclear about in/out

>Number:         7437
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       IPFW doco unclear about in/out
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	IPFW configured into the kernel.
	Dual homed machine.

	The documentation on IPFW isn't clear about its behavour
	when handling a packet that is traversing a host acting
	as a gateway.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Look through the IPFW doc for a clear explanation of when/how
	the packet filtering rules are applied.

	Look through the IPFW doc for a clear explanation of what
	meta information is attached to a packet when it is presented
	to the packet filter.

>Fix:

The first part is to precisely describe the meta information
associated with a IPFW IP packet. I think it is:

	o	interface(s) (recv, xmit)

	o	direction

as well as the obvious:

	o	IP address

	o	packet type

	o	port address (tcp/udp)

	o	estab

	o	....

The second part is to explain that every packet is put through the
IPFW rules as part of traversing an interface.  (I.e. twice for a
routed packet).

If someone wants to work with me I'll make comments (at least) on the
changes.

			Andrew

PS: The doco don't need to be an explanation on how to operate a
firewall, rather how this specific firewall is implemented.