Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:09:58 +0800
From:      Darryl Yeoh <drl@bsd.my>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:33:55 -0500
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> If you want to use synaptics, the instructions in the port are still
> correct I think.  Everything that I have right now is GlidePoint, but...
> Essentially, you want to disable moused_enable="NO" (the default) set
> the loader.conf tuneable and statically configure the touchpad in
> xorg.conf to use /dev/psm0 and driver "synaptics" .  This wil not be
> ignored by X, as it only ignores devices using kbd,mouse, or vmmouse
> drivers.

My touchpad works much better now. Dmesg picks it up as:

psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: [ITHREAD]
psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

/var/log/Xorg.0.log reports this:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.99.3
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
(**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
(**) Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "RightEdge" "5300"
(**) Option "TopEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
(**) Option "FingerLow" "25"
(**) Option "FingerHigh" "30"
(**) Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
(**) Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
(**) Option "MaxDoubleTapTime" "200"
(**) Option "ClickTime" "0"
(**) Option "FastTaps" "0"
(**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
(**) Option "HorizScrollDelta" "100"
(**) Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
(**) Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
(**) Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
(**) Option "UpDownScrolling" "on"
(**) Option "LeftRightScrolling" "on"
(**) Option "ScrollButtonRepeat" "100"
(**) Option "PalmDetect" "off"
(--) Mouse0 synaptics touchpad found
(--)  Synaptics Touchpad, model: 0
(--)  Firmware: 6.3
(--)  Sensor: 1
(--)  new absolute packet format
(--)  Touchpad has extended capability bits
(--)  -> multifinger detection
(--)  -> palm detection

Acceleration is much better now. Touchpad options are statically configured in xorg.conf.

> Additional mice can be added either via config or hald depending on your
> settings for AllowEmptyInput and/or AutoAddDevices.

I have these two options in xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
  Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

One thing I notice is sometimes left-clicks become right-clicks. I have to press both buttons
simultaneously for the left-click to work normally again. It happens randomly. Are you experiencing
this behaviour ?

Thanks for your time.

Darryl