Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 12:20:36 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New packaging tool (was Re: Applying patches with out a compiler)

Hi,

From: "Stuart Henderson" <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:29:27AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> > Got a handy pointer to the JAR spec?
>
> http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/guide/jar/
> http://docs.iplanet.com/docs/manuals/signedobj/jarfile/jar.htm

After looking at the jar "specification", it only offers a way to resolve
the "signing" problem. While this is good, I wonder how well extensions to
support the other features I am looking at implemented would be supported by
other "jar openers".

Is this the way we should go:
- create a "libjar" that can open and parse the content of the manifest in a
reasonable way
- (re)create the packaging tool so that it obtains its information from the
jar file.

The question is also: how do we go about manifest extensions in order to
support all of what we needed ?
- do we just create a set of "FreeBSD-specific" header/value pairs ?
- are there more headers specified for the JAR files ?

It looks to me that using this file format could be worthwhile, but to
provide the level of functionality that we have currently with pkg_* it will
require a good deal of non-standard extensions.

So are there any more complete specs for the jar files ? Should we pursue in
that direction ?

Patrick.