Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Woodchuck"  <djv@bedford.net>
To:        ow@polar.on.ca (Oliver Wilcock)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I un-newfs?

Oliver Wilcock wrote:

> ---------------------- Forwarded by Oliver Wilcock/Emp/PolarSym on 10/20/98
> 12:21 PM ---------------------------
>
> To:   freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:  How can I un-newfs?
>

>      Is there a way to reverse the newfs process.  I know the data I need
> must still be on the slice because the newfs was so much faster than the
> fsck.  It couldn't have wiped my /usr partition completely clean in a few
> seconds, could it?

No, but it can sure wipe all the file-structure info, AKA metadata,
in the twinkling of an eye.  :(

>      I'm pretty desparate.  I have no backup since May.  Stupid, stupid,
> stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think you are probably hosed. You can get at the raw data with dd,
but what are you going to do with it? In theory, you can reconstruct
the whole fs by hand, but I think we're talking man-years here.

As far as I know, there is no magic "just reset this bit" cure for this
problem.  I hope somebody else knows otherwise. You can "unformat" a
FAT-DOG filesystem, but I think a unix fs gets its metadata (esp the
bitmap, superblock etc) wiped.

Dave
--
           Strangers know your loved ones' phone numbers!!!!