Date:      10 Nov 2002 22:39:40 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing to Win2K share printer with apsfilter via samba fails

--=-yAeo1W7BYsjTS8BBBSiy

Hi Warren,

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 19:27, Warren Block wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2002, Stacey Roberts wrote:
>=20
> > Printer entry created by apsfilter setup in /etc/printcap:=20
> > # APS1_BEGIN:printer1=20
> > # - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1=20
> > # - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL=20
> > hp845c|ijs/DESKJET_845;r=3D600x300;q=3Dhigh;c=3Dfull;p=3Da4;m=3Dauto:\=20
> >     :lp=3D/dev/null:\=20
> >     :if=3D/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\=20
> >     :sd=3D/var/spool/lpd/hp845c:\=20
> >     :lf=3D/var/spool/lpd/hp845c/log:\=20
> >     :af=3D/var/spool/lpd/hp845c/acct:\=20
> >     :mx#0:\=20
> >     :sh:=20
> > # APS1_END - don't delete this=20
> > #=20
>=20
> That if=3D line says that every time you try to print through this
> printer, the input is to be filtered by apsfilter.  Since something
> is apparently wrong with apsfilter, you will not be able to print with
> this printcap entry.
> =20
> > # tail /var/spool/lpd/hp845c/log=20
> > apsfilter: The configuration file
> > /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/hp845c/apsfilterrc=20
> > apsfilter: is missing. Please run SETUP.=20
>=20
> Okay.  So what happens when you run SETUP?

Re-running SETUP only repopulates /etc/printcap with the very same
entries that are in there now. I have tried this, made a copy of the
initial post-apsfilter-amended printcap to printcap.old, then re-ran
SETUP. Did a diff, and no differences detected.
>=20
> > But this file DOES exist:=20
> >=20
> > # more /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/hp845c/apsfilterrc=20
>=20
> Possibly a permissions problem?

If the permissions are not correct, then what are they *supposed* to be.
I've read through the docs at apsfilter.org and found *nothing* that
suggests that a review of the permissions on various file / configs
should be amended.

For the benefit of that argument though, I *did* chmod 777 the file with
the same result - nothing doing at the printer. In fact Warren, I ran
trafshow at the same time I attempted printing, and on all occasions no
traffic between the samba server and the Win2K box was captured.
Concurring with you earlier deduction, that something must be wrong with
apsfilter.
>=20
> > That's failed big time. I'll try printing with lpr:=20
> >=20
> > # lpr -Php845c test=20
>=20
> Won't work--you're just sending more stuff through the same failing
> input filter.
>=20
> I suggested in an earlier response that it would be good to get basic
> text printing working before trying one of the "big filter" packages
> like apsfilter.  I think I even posted a printcap entry that would
> work.  What happens when you try that?

I haven't tried attaching the printer directly to the samba server to
test printing that way. But I am able to print (/etc/hosts) to the
printer via smbclient using command line. This method however, bypasses
apsfilter.

Such a struggle this. I have tried all diplomatic means of communicating
this problem to folks at apsfilter.org to no avail. I have been
trouble-shooting this for over a week now, with only curt responses from
the couple of people there to show for it.

I'll hanker on for tonight, but will probably kick this project to the
linux guys (they've an alternative being worked on using CUPS / RH8) if
I get no joy.

Thanks for the kind reply.

Stacey
>=20
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20