Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:31:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      User MAT <mat@blondie.ottawa.cc>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two routers back to back: Do they need real ip-adresses?

> --quote--
> Private hosts can communicate with all other hosts inside the enterprise,
> both public and private. [HERE-> However, they cannot have
> IP connectivity to any host outside of the enterprise. [<- HERE]
> --quote--
>
> What is ment here is that the host which is assigned RFC1918 addresses
> cannot communicate with "the Internet", there is nothing wrong with
> having RFC1918 addresses on interfaces that only has "internal"
> connectivity.

	I agree that it's ok to have private IP's on private interfaces
and say, natd the public interface, the RFC offers this as a option.  But
if it's just a router and you traceroute through it, the IP
address that comes up is ambigous.

> Here in Denmark the national school backbone is running RFC1918
> addresses on it's routers, no problem, as long as all hosts that need
> Internet connectivity uses real addresses ...
>
> I also know that several larger US NSP's use RFC1918 in their backbones

	I know and it drives me nuts.  They don't block the private router
info and packets, this causes confusion on some of my machines.
Furthermore, there's no co-ordianation of use of private IPs so that two
ISPs could use the same private IP their routers and have a traceroute
report an same IP for a hop twice, doesn't that seem wrong?