Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:37:24 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About sade (was Re: Where to start?)

Quoting Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk> (Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:15:04 +0100):

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 01:24:44PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Quoting Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk> (Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:19:35 +0100):
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a project.
> > > Something that would actually be used.
> > >
> > > Preferely something with kernel and geom.
> > >
> > > I have looked over the project page, but not sure where to start.
> >
> > How hard is your requirement that it has to be in the kernel? If it is
> > not very strong: you could extend sade(8) to handle GEOM stuff.
>
> How should the g* stuff be included? like extracting code from the individual
> g* control programs and placed in sade? I could look at doing that.

I don't know that much about the possibilities the GEOM API offers.
Ideally it should be able to list the existing GEOM providers and offer
to add new or remove configured ones. It should also be able to newfs
on GEOM providers. This may result in the renaming of the items in the
initial menu (it doesn't make sense to call it "fdisk" when you are
able to do more than the fdisk stuff), or maybe in merging the two
parts. A first step would be to enhance the fdisk part and maybe rename
the two items to "configure" and "format" or something better.

If you are willing to have a look at this I'm willing to review the
UI/usability part and suggest improvements. For the GEOM related stuff
I would have to direct you to the people which already did a lot of
work there (e.g. pjd/phk), but maybe I'm able to handle minor stuff
there too.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Mulder: Scully, should we be picking out china patterns, or what?

	"The X-Files: Small Potatoes"