Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 16:21:50 -0500
From:      "Douglas B. Quayle" <dquayle@slk.com>
To:        GregoryC@stcinc.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Laptop compatibility

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000, 128 Mb RAM, DVD-ROM, 8 Gb HD.
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE ran fine on it, but I had some trouble getting support
for the video card (an ATI Rage of some sort) for XFree86.  I ended up
purchasing a commercial X server.  However, I believe that XFree86 now
supports the chip set used in the Dell I7k, but I'm not positive.

I would advise you to pay careful attention to what PCMCIA Ethernet cards
and modems are supported, because that is what gave me the most
headaches.  Again, however, I believe that my Ethernet card, one of the
10/100 cards from 3Com, is now supported in 3.4-RELEASE.  I'll find out as
soon as the CD gets here.

www.xfree86.org is a good place to look for video cards, and
www.freebsd.org is a good place to look for other hardware compatibility.