Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:33:08 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Anton Yudin <toha@ib.com.ua>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building -current on -stable

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 04:25:50 -0800
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> --HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV
>
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:17:16AM +0200, Anton Yudin wrote:
> >=20
> > 	is there any method to build and install -current on -stable (4.7).
> > 	without dist of -current .. i have successfully built -current world
> > 	on 4.7-stable.. but building -current kernel failed...
> > 	what can i do?
>
> Read the /usr/src/UPDATING file and follow the directions.

I read UPDATING along with lots of stuff on the web site before
installing current this weekend. Even with all of that, it was a bit
tricky. My first attempt "worked", but I had no ACPI. I also had no
apm and no /dev/apm.

My attempt to get ACPI worked (for an odd definition of 'worked') so
that ACPI started up OK, but the system crashed in the ata driver with
an ACPI error.

I eventually gave up and installed from the DP2 CD which worked
fine. I wish I know what is different from my re-build attempt.

This does not imply that I have not had any problems with DP2, but
those are not appropriate to this list.

I just want to point out that the upgrade IS tricky and may bite you
even if you are reasonably careful.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)