Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:59:15 -0800
From:      "Stephane Baud" <stephb@ofoto.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Looking for M-Audio Audiophile 2496 driver

Hi,

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard =
(http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/audiophile.php) and am looking =
for a matching FreeBSD driver. I'm new to FreeBSD and have recently =
installed version 4.7 stable. Installation via FTP was a breeze and the =
only missing piece so far is sound. I know that this soundcard is not =
explicitely listed in the hardware compatibility list, but I was hoping =
that maybe someone in the FreeBSD community came up with a driver that's =
not yet offically listed, or at least that's there's work in progress or =
some alpha quality experimental driver that I'd be happy to help =
testing. This is not just one other exotic soundcard, it's an very good =
one (all reviews are raving about it), with extremely low latency (under =
1ms on Mac OS X) and very good DACs. It's a very popular soundcard among =
musicians for computer based music and I was hoping to be able to use it =
on FreeBSD. Yes, there is an ALSA driver available on Linux, but I'd =
rather stick to FreeBSD as I'm convinced of its design superiority and I =
don't want to deal w/ the whole Linux distribution mess. I guess the =
only Linux distro that got my attention recently is Gentoo =
(www.gentoo.org), precisely because it "ports" based, a la FreeBSD, but =
it's still in its early stage and needs to mature a bit I think.

Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas/suggestions.

-- Stephane