Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:44:58 -0400
From:      Justin Edward Muniz <justin.muniz@maine.edu>
To:        "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>,  Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSOC: Qt front-ends

> You'll probably want to get in touch with the PC-BSD folks.  As they are
> moving to pkgng for everything, they are updating their Python-based GUIs
> to work with it.  Might be a possibility to work together, or to build
off what
> they have, or to get ideas/inspiration for a more general tool.

I will definitely contact them with any questions I have. I have just been
reading through the script called pc-updatemanager and it is a nice aid for
developing a pkgng back-end with.

> If you could pardon my ignorance=85 but what is packagekit again (for the
> benefit of others)?

I've just looked into this myself, it is an api and daemon that together
allow you to create a package manager while not worrying about the abstract
inner workings. The benefit is that one back-end (for pkgng in this case)
could be programmed, but it would work with both the gtk and qt packagekit
clients. On top of everything it offers some really cool advanced features.
(http://www.packagekit.org/)

> imho a pkgng frontend should be done via packagekit, just write a pkgng
> backend for packagekit and you will gain for FreeBSD a KDE frontend and
> a GTK frontend.

I really like this suggestion, I am looking in to this now and it is very,
very cool. I still need to learn more about it but I appreciate the
recommendation. I had never heard about packagekit before today.

> The tool is bsdconfig

I checked out your Web site, and I want to say congratulations on your
progress. It is quite an accomplishment. I think that a modern GUI could
however appeal to a different crowd. If FreeBSD comes with bsdconfig,
perhaps a qt GUI could be an alternative.

I like qt compared to xdialog because you can have a more persistent
interface with more options available to you at any one time. There is less
navigating through menus.

Thank you for letting me know about your work, I will take it in
consideration when trying to develop the strongest proposal I can.

Justin Muniz