Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:20:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        David Herman <ob1@yifan.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm kinda happy (wasI bought your system and am not so happy!)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, David Herman wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 01:33 am, Mike Meyer wrote:
[cut]

> > If you want the kernel to do something that it isn't designed to do,
> > yup, you have to do that. The one time I tried it, the Generic kernel
> > found the thing and I could use it immediately. Have you tried
> > configuring the modem to use irq 5 or 9? Or disabling COM2 and having
> > the modemuse 3?
>
> Can these be set at runtime or do I need to do it in bios? (that would be a
> PITA as I've already got 4 other OS' on the machine that recognize the
> settings as they are.

Then you already know what the "right" answers for irq assignments are.
IMO the easies was would be to force these assignments on FreeBSD. You can
try this manually to see if the various drivers will work.

BIOS changes seem to be to be out because any changes here are going to
effect all other O/S's.

Interupt the boot and then boot to configure the kernel in visual mode.
I forget the syntax but if you do boot -h  the options will be listed.

If that works, configure a kernel and you are done. As an alternative most
if not all this stuff can be done in /boot/loader/conf or other boot time
configuration files. Docs for kernel configuration are easier to come by.

Hope this helps and that others will correct any mis-information.