Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:03:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY: Chuck image being used in a sex ad

On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 10:39:26AM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:
>
>> I just discovered our little Chuck (the BSD daemon) being
>> used for a commercial banner. You can have a look at it at
>> http://www.erosclub.it/messag.htm, pointing to a would-be
>> herbalist's shop. The text is in italian, and means:  "Now you can
>> improve or find again your sexual power".
>>
>> Obviously, I *hate* seeing Chuck being used in a commercial
>> banner.  If someone at FreeBSD is willing to contact them, I'll be
>> pleased to translate from english to italian.
>
> Short after having posted this message, I got a reply from Kirk
> McKusick, the copyright holder of the BSD Daemon. He asked me to
> translate a message to the offending webmaster, saying to refrain
> from using the BSD daemon. The webmaster removed the daemon image,
> saying that he got the banner from a client, and that he wasn't
> aware of the copyright.

Good to hear.

> P.S. As Kirk pointed out to me, the BSD daemon hasn't a name, and is
>      proud of it. So don't call him Chuck. Call him "the BSD daemon".

We've discussed this a number of times already.  Kirk claims that it
was a "Walnut Creek marketing droid" who invented the name Chuck.  A
number of the FreeBSD people, I think including Jordan, claim that the
name has been around a lot longer, and that de facto, his name *is*
Chuck.

Personally, I dislike the name "Chuck".  If he has to have a name
(which Kirk thinks he shouldn't), I think he should be called bsdd.

Greg