Date:      13 Mar 2002 20:47:33 -0600
From:      Ian Alderman <ian@lightlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient media directive question

Hi,

I'm trying to get my -STABLE box to automatically use an ifconfig media
directive when it boots and obtains an address using dhclient.

In order to get the machine to work correctly, after it boots, I have to
explicitly say:

 ifconfig rl0 media 100baseTX

I'd like to automate this process.  The interface gets its address using
dhclient.  I thought I'd specify the media using the media directive in
dhclient.conf.  Here's the dhclient.conf I used:

 interface "rl0" {
         media "media 100baseTX";
 }

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any effect.  The interface
comes up "media: Ethernet autoselect (none)".  What's the correct way to
get this to work?  Obviously I can just add the change after the
interface comes up, but I'd like to do it the Right way.

Thanks,

-Ian