Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:34:10 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bart Kus <bsd@shell-server.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio modification

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Submissions should contain a -current version or they are likely
> to never make it into the tree...

I guess this is why the Rice University code that more than
triples the TCP connection rate never made it in the first
time they released it for 2.2 and then again when they
released the updated version with resource containers for
version 4.2 (though the license on the second version was
not happy).

I guess that's also why Luigi Rizzo's SACK and TSACK code
for 2.x was never integrated.

And the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center code for the
syn cache, which is vastly superior to the code in NetBSD
and BSDI...

And the MIT code for the TIME_WAIT zombies...

It's a great pity that most MA and PhD thesis and real world
products have hard deadlines that can't wait for -current to
become stable enough to use in a product sold to people, and
which the company shipping it must support when it has problems,
but it's understandable why companies and people tend to do
their development there instead of -current.

If I were doing a new product, I'd pick 4.4, I think, since
the KSE work and ACPI code has destabilized -current; it
doesn't help, either, that the 5.0 release date was pushed
back another year.

This is not trying to lay blame; it's just pointing out that
most funded work is going to take place in a -stable branch,
since FreeBSD is being used a a platform for other work, and
is not the ends in and of itself (the ends are graduation
with a degree, or making money on a FreeBSD based product).

Going to P4 would help that a little, but not as much as it
would if P4 were free for commercial use; and yes, I understand
their need to make money as well: I'm just pointing out that
it's largely a tools problem.

-- Terry