Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:45:10 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch breaks tripwire security paradigm

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 02:17:45PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:

<snip>

> To make a long story short, it wasn't broken, those files are listed for
> a reason, /root is already protected, and this patch substantially weakens
> single-user security.  It's Wrong.  Kill it dead.

You're right about sh -- it will read /.profile instead of /root/.profile
when you're booting single-user. I just took down my machine to find out
for myself, and was barely able to reconnect--lame ISP :>. Anyway, csh
doesn't seem to execute any .cshrc or .login in single-user mode. Also,
when in single-user mode, .rhosts and .forward probably don't mean all
that much. As for .login, I didn't try and don't want to battle with
PPP again. If csh won't read its startup files, I doubt it reads .logout...

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  /  "My problems start when the smarter bears