Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:21:30 -0400
From:      "NO DATA" <anorak@topsecret.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   options MATH_EMULATE

(the only dumb question is the one not asked - so here's two:)
How can I tell if I have a math emulator?
What is the penalty for including either of these lines in my kernel
if it is not needed?

quote from the handbook:
options MATH_EMULATE
This line allows the kernel to simulate a math co-processor if your
computer does not have one (386 or 486SX). If you have a Pentium, a
486DX, or a 386 or 486SX with a separate 387 or 487 chip, you can
comment this line out.

Note: The normal math co-processor emulation routines that come with
FreeBSD are not very accurate. If you do not have a math co-processor,
and you need the best accuracy, I recommend that you change this
option to GPL_MATH_EMULATE to use the superior GNU math support, which
is not included by default for licensing reasons.