Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:53:34 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <tpnelson@echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA Drivers for XF4

Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> Does anybody have the new nvidia drivers working yet? Aparently I'm not
> as smart as I thought. :)

        From what I've been told - FreeBSD's kernel is unable to run Linux's
kernel modules. Hence, the source provided by nVIDIA for the kernel
module needs to be ported to FreeBSD. For those that aren't aware, there
are two tarballs available: the Linux kernel module source and (Linux)
object files for what I'm assuming is the XFree86 4.0 OpenGL/DRI driver.

        What's porting going to involve? I can't see porting the kernel module
being *too* difficult (I'd love to start on something after exams) - but
I don't know how the Linux object files for the XFree86 interface are
going to be dealt with (Linux developer port?).

        I'm sure I'm not the only TNT (and above) owner that's eager to get
Quake3 running in XFree86 4.0.

> -Brandon

        Regards,

                Trent.