Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:31:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching nameserver not working? (solved)

Thanks for everyone's help - I finally found the problem.
I am running named as user/group "bind", and in the named.conf file I have
the following set:

  pid-file "/var/named/named.pid";

The /var/named directory exists and is writable by user bind

However, in my /etc/rc.conf file, I had the following line:

 named_flags="-p /var/run/named.pid -u bind -g bind"

which of course is a problem since it conflicts (and was likely
overriding) the "correct" setting in named.conf

Interesting, though, the effect it had on named.  The nameserver would
resolve all of the domains that it hosted, it just wouldn't resolve any
external domains.

Another side effect of this problem was that slave transfers weren't
working - I would change a zone on the master server, and the zone
would never update on the slave.

Nonetheless, by doing:

  ndc stop
  ndc start -u bind -g bind

  and removing the "-p /var/run/named.pid" from /etc/rc.conf (so it won't
happen again next reboot)

the problem is solved.

Thanks again,

- M -