Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:32:54 -0800
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xorg on a headless, mouseless, keyboardless box

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet

> I've used this "ssh -X" that you mention. This works fine for "userland"=
=20
> programs, but in order to troubleshoot my particular issue I'd need to be=
=20
> logged in as root.  When I try to "su" remotely to run the command I get:
>=20
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I think what's going on is that X puts some authentication information
in your home directory: ~/.Xauthority. You might try:
$ su -m

That will preserve your environment (including $HOME). Now when X goes
looking for the ~/.Xauthority, it will find the one sshd set up in your
user home directory.

>=20
> I might try logging in locally as root and see what happens ....=20
>=20
> But in the long run I think that if I could understand how to grant mysel=
f an=20
> actual X session on the remote box then I could figure out how to do this=
 and=20
> potentially other stuff.
>=20
> Thanks for any information you might share.
>=20
> lane
rg"
>=20

--=20
Chris Cowart
Network and Infrastructure Systems Administrator
RSSP-IT, UC Berkeley
"May all your pushes be popped"

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet--