Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:32:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        DARREND@novell.com (Darren Davis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh!

>  Or, must I suffer this fate?  Any suggestions on how to manage this much
> email?  Jordan, how do you deal with all this traffic?

I don't, I just suffer through hours of reading it each day.

There are a couple of things we can do to help.

1. END THE BLOODY CROSS-POSTING!  During our recent debate, the start of
   which had -stable, -hackers and -current (plus myself) on the cc line,
   I got 4 different copies of every single follow-up in what turned out
   to be a long and boring thread.

2. END THE LONG AND BORING THREADS!  It should be evident to most people
   with an intellect and social sensitivity exceeding that of motor oil
   that, after the 3rd or 4th iteration, any long-winded trestise on
   "The ax register and making complete audit trails of every
   transition from bootup to shutdown" is going to appeal to a very limited
   audience and probably bore the rest so badly that they'll be chewing
   through their VGA cables just to escape the thread before long.

For #1, I'm actually going to ask our long-suffering postmaster if
there's any way for us to kill cross-postings automatically.  Quite
frankly, if something is sent to any of the major FreeBSD mailing
lists (hackers/stable/current) then I think that it's already quite
enough and if the user feels the need to cross-post then they're
probably trying to lump too many things into one message and should
break it down to a specific interest group level anyway.  If there's
some way for us to build a table of precedence and make automated
decisions like "if hackers and stable on cc line, stable wins" then
I'm all for instituting this immediately.  People aren't showing any
degree of self-control at all in how they follow-up to things, simply
whacking `r' (or whatever) blindly and not even checking the header.

Yes, there are messages which start life with a legitimate reason for
being cross-posted but they still lead to long threads which don't, so
we might as well just cap the problem at the source.

The second problem I'm not sure about, though I guess we could try and
be self-policing about it.  If it looks like someone is going on
excessively in the lists then I encourage each and every subscriber
who doesn't like it to send them a _personal email_ telling them to
tone it down.  I figure after somebody receives 2 or 3 messages saying
"take it to private email, already!!" they'll be more inclined to cut
to the chase.

					Jordan