Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:20:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        tom@inna.net (Thomas Arnold)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft "Get ISDN"?

> On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Because the whole world is NOT PPP.  Some is SLIP - some is direct dialin -
> > etc.  For example, I run all my dedicated connections via SLIP.  Or...
> > it's really nice to be able to dial into Exec-PC (world's largest BBS) and
> > download files at ISDN speeds.
>
> I am curious, why do you use SLIP for your dedicated connections?

Less potential BS to debug.  I like the interface afforded by "startslip"
and "sliplogin".  It (used to be?) is very difficult to do all sorts of
nifty routing things with PPP that I find relatively easy to do with SLIP.

And maybe I just really really don't like gratuitous change.  I hacked
startslip to do all the things I wanted, and I made it work with FreeBSD
(it came along for free from 4.4-Lite, but it was quite busted).  It works
great, it's reliable, and I have yet to hear a convincing reason to go to
all sorts of work to re-engineer things to work with PPP, which I have
witnessed in the past to be mildly buggy and problematic.  Userland PPP can
only do a small number of interfaces, handles flooding poorly, etc.
Kernelland PPP used to panic my boxes, although admittedly that was under
2.0R.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968