Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:36:02 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: hotmail question

handle the mail exchanging.

Keep in mind that this part of the book was written a year ago, Microsoft
could have changed it by now.

However, I don't belive that they have.  If you Telnet into the SMTP port
on any of Hotmails mailservers, you most definitely do NOT get a
Microsoft Exchange banner, unless they have totally modified the SMTP
banner.  (which I fail to see the point of why they would do this)

One characteristic of Sendmail's banners is that they issue the time and
date as part of the greeting.  I don't know if qmail does also, but I
don't see why they wouldn't. Microsoft Exchange does not.  The Hotmail
SMTP servers definitely do.

One big problem with e-mail espically of that magnitude is that if you
do it the traditional UNIX way, you have lots and lots and lots of tiny
files in the spool directory.  UNIX's answer has been to hash the
spool up with a bunch of subdirectories.  I'm not sure that the
NTFS filesystem is up to this.

>This was all an open secret prior to MS's confession. Ted describes
>Hotmail's set up in his book, which was originally printed in December
>2000.

Actually, there wasn't anything really secret about it.  Microsoft had a
number of job requisitions posted on their website right after the
takeover that were asking for people with FreeBSD experience, espically
experience in scripting for FreeBSD, and they mentioned that the job
would be for Hotmail.  Also, pre takeover, the Hotmail people did say
what they were running on.

I would suspect that after Microsoft took over Hotmail, and their marketing
people start asking the networking engineers at Hotmail if they could use
Windows, that all of the FreeBSD guru's at Hotmail started looking for other
jobs.  I would suspect that within 6 months of the Microsoft acquisition, that
Microsoft was in a real bind, and pretty much had no choice but to swing over
to Windows.