Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:15:14 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Alex Helbig <alex@muse.org.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing Login ID Length

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Alex Helbig wrote:
>
> > A quick search of the mail archives results in
> > > What limits the length of user logins to 8 characters and how might this
> > > be changed? We need 15 or more.
> >
> > Modify the header file and rebuild the world.
> >
> > --------end snip
> >
> > Q.  Which header files need to be modified in 2.2.7-RELEASE?
>
> You don't want to do this.  It has larger ramifications than you may be
> aware of.  Use -CURRENT if you really need long usernames.

	I don't know why people keep trying to scare users away from this. I
have used 16 char usernames in -Stable for a year now, and it works just
fine. Here is my standard response, hope it helps.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb

        You will need to change a couple files and use "make world" to
recompile the system for the larger usernames. Any third party utilities
that use usernames like ssh or xterm will also have to be recompiled
after the make world is done.

In /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h:
change MAXLOGNAME to 18

In /usr/src/include/utmp.h:
change UT_NAMESIZE to 16

If you need help with the make world, take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html and click on the Upgrading FreeBSD from
source (using make world) tutorial. After you're done with this some
utilities like adduser will have to be modified by hand to support the
long usernames, but we're working on making these fewer and farther
between as time goes on. :)