Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:19:04 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "John" <warendaj@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Not so much a question ...

On Monday 08 January 2001 06:05, John wrote:

snip

to paraphrase ...

I installed something on my system and it installed shitloads of other stuff
I wasn't expecting.

> is there any clean way to back out of an
> ongoing install like this and if not, why?

pkg_delete is about as good as it gets I'm afraid. As to why, er...because it
is not easy.....there are, I believe, a couple of projects looking at this,
to what extent they are active,I don't know.

> Secondly it might be prudent to have some sort of check on
> "recursive dependencies" that might say, stop and warn you when it find's
> itself having to fetch a dependancy on a dependancy.

I think there is always a trade-off between convenience, simplicity and
functionality. I personally think it is prudent to rtfm / rtf url before I
crack on with installing something.

> lot of packages were installed and it would have taken a great deal of
> reading to have actually piled through and seen what exactly this would
> have resulted in.

lynx /usr/ports/somepackage/readme.html  or
/usr/ports/sysutils/pib    are both quite handy for this