Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:42:15 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Current Users' list)
Subject:   Re: #include opt_ipfw.h problem for lkm

I object STRONGLY to removing the ipfw LKM.

What would we gain ?  -- nothing.

What would we loose ? -- a feature.

You argument that an intruder just has to unload the lkm is bogus.
If you used ipfw for sercurity purposes, you would NOT use the LKM
in the first place.  Second, if you did, you would surely be running
with a secure-level that prevented the unloading of the lkm.
"Doctor! doctor! It hurts when I do this!" -- "Don't do that then!"

The point of having it as an LKM, is that you can use it to remove
traffic that you don't want, ie. use it as a network tool not a
security device as such.  I have used it to do things like filter
out RIP from a bogus router or merely logging of traffic from a
particular host.  Neither of these uses warranted a hyper-secure
setup, and being able to load ipfw was just the thing to do the
job.

Why would we kill a feature like that ?

I will conceede to Garretts argument of speed, and you can add:
#ifdef INET_REALLY_FAST around the two function calls as long as
you don't put it in GENERIC.

According to your logic I expect you to advocate the removal of
ufs-async, ext2fs, msdosfs not to mention rm features because
they are dangerous if used wrong.  :-)

Remember that FreeBSD is not in the business of enforcing any policy
but provide the tools for others to enforce their own chosen policies...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.