Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:43:23 +0200
From:      Steffen Beyer <sb@engelschall.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Subject:   Re: Running netscape causes "libXt.so.6 bad magic number" error message

Hello Erik Trulsson, in a previous mail you wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:59:37PM +0200, Steffen Beyer wrote:
> > Can please someone tell me what the solution to this problem is?
> > (Looks like others had it before and found the answer)
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE and whenever I run netscape, I
> > get the following error message:
> >
> > [sb@oxumare]~>netscape
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
> > ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"
> > [sb@oxumare]~>
> >
> > I found a discussion on the taiwanese FreeBSD mailing list about this
> > topic via Google but I can't read the answers because they are in a
> > different character set (which I can't read) and probably in Chinese
> > anyway (which I can read even less :-) )!
> >
> > Therefore please reply in English (or German or French or Dutch or
> > Spanish or Portuguese) and in ISO-Latin-1!
> >
> > Aside from the above, searches via Google and www.freebsd.org have
> > been in vain so far.

I found many other posts with this very same question in the mailing
list's archives in the meantime, but no answers!

> > Thanks a lot in advance for your invaluable help!!!
>
> The FreeBSD versions of Netscape are compiled on an older version of
> FreeBSD and requires shared libraries in the aout format.
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 is in the newer ELF format.
>
> What apparently happens is that Netscape can't find the correct
> library and therefore tries /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 which is not
> in the correct format and therefore doesn't work.
>
> The solution is to install the required libraries. :-)
> The easiest way of doing that is to install the
> x11/XFree86-aoutlibs port.

I checked yesterday, it was already installed (as a dependency).
So I installed the "FreeBSD 4 XFree86 libraries" package, in the
hopes this might be "it", but to no avail.

BTW, one thing is extremely funny: I installed FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE
from the very same CD on another machine (and with exactly the same
packages and options, as far as I can tell from memory), and on
that machine, netscape runs without any problem at all!

> If that is already installed you will have to check the correct
> directories are searched. See ldconfig(8) for details.

What library is netscape really looking for?
I think I can manage to set the LD_CONFIG_PATH env variable to
the corresponding directory in the "netscape" script once I know
that.

Can you or anybody help? Thanks a lot again!

> (I have actually never seen the above error message so the above is
> mainly guesswork but I am fairly sure that it is correct. :-) )

Seems to be basically correct at least! :-)

Best regards,
--
    Steffen Beyer <sb@engelschall.com>
    http://www.engelschall.com/u/sb/whoami/ (Who am I)