Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:52:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        lancew@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU-intensive Kernel Optimizations

On 25 Jun, Lance M.Westerhoff wrote:

> required for web applications.  Does anyone know of any good kernel
> options I should be compiling in (or out)? etc?

Have a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT:
 - only use the "cpu *_CPU" you need (I686_CPU in your case)
 - have a look at "options CPU_*"

/etc/make.conf:
 - set CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS and CPUTYPE to fit your needs (you better
   recompile everything after that, don'T forget a "make clean" in
   your kernel directory), e.g.:
   * CPUTYPE=i686
   * COPTFLAGS= -Os -pipe -mcpu=i686
   * CFLAGS= -Os -pipe -mcpu=i686

And perhaps you want to patch the kernel, see
http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/misc-patches/kern_exec.c.patch

And then there is ths icc port, Intels C compiler for linux. It is able
to produce native FreeBSD executables. You can't compile the kernel
(yet) with it, but it speeds up your app upto 20%.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.