Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:01:43 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, John Baldwin <jobaldwi@smtp2.erols.com>
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:53:28 GMT, Ben Rosengart wrote:

> But if you can turn off wrapping, you can save a fork()/exec() per
> connection.

The only exec is an execv() at line 740 of inetd.c, which launches the
program that will service a request. It's done irrespective of wrapping.
So you can save a fork, not an exec. Forks are cheap.

I'm not really opposed to having command-line options for per-case
exclusions -- I'm just opposed to doing the work myself if it doesn't
gain us anything significant. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.