Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:22:25 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Handling 100.000 packets/sec or more

>=20
>   What can I do to make the system better handle this kind of=20
> traffic ?
> Could device polling(8) or just increasing the kernel=20
> frequency clock to 1000Hz or more improve the situation ?
>   What kind of network cards could face a lot better this=20
> burden ? Are there any other solutions ?
>=20

device polling(8) really does help _alot_ for packet floods/storms.
for device polling to work properly (imho) you would need to set HZ to =
1000.
I dont recommend any higher HZ on a PIII.
I recommend Intel cards (fxp or em) because they chew through packets at =

the highest rate (in our tests) given good supporting hardware and tuned =
software.
Both support device polling.