Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 14:01:09 -0500
From:      David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.8 disk space requirements ....

Hi ...

  I will soon be receiving my 2.2.8 cdrom (I can hardly wait) and I am
trying to pre-plan the disk layout. I would like to have the following
layout and am wondering what each should require in terms of disk
resources:

    /            root
    /usr         standard usr stuff from distribution cd
    /var         <not sure what goes in here, but I assume things which
change>
    /usr/local   <stuff not on the distribution cd>
    /home        <user home directories>
    /tmp
    <swap>

Another question is how much space would I need for a separate source
partion
to contain what is in /usr/src off the cd. I want to put this someplace
else, so I can more or less make /usr read-only, even though I will
likely
be scribbling in /usr/src fairly often.

I have no idea how much space a typical /var partition needs to have.
I am thinking of just having /tmp -> /var/tmp (similarly for /usr/tmp?).

I have on one disk about 1/2 gig of space left and am considering
buying another disk anyway, but I need some input before I get
a second disk.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks ...

--David

p.s. Is /sys/conf still used to keep the binaries for kernel linking?
     And if so, how big is it. My memory is that this stuff used to
     be in the root parition, but this of course may have changed.