Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:19:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to second hard-drive...

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > As Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know whether booteasy can handle more than one drive.  I
> > > remember somebody saying that os-bs is better in this respect.
> > >
> > osbs20b8 works with more than one drive, and is pretty (it gives you
> > a nice menu), but not with some BIOSs - specifically any laptops I've
> > tried (but then, you won't have two disks, so os-bs, the previous version,
> > will suffice).
>
> Well, my own experience with 2.1.7 and the following configuration:

> 	DOS is on 1st HD, FreeBSD on 2nd and 3rd HDs (all 3 of which
> 	DOS can see when doing a "full" DOS install with its defaults).
>
> When the 2.1.7 system initially comes up off the HD (install goes
> great, without a hitch) you get BOOTEASY with the following prompt:
>
> 	F?	DOS
>
> And that's it.  No other choices!  First time I tried selecting just
> the first drive for a boot manager.  No joy.  Then I reinstalled and
> said "boot manager" for every drive.  No change.  Then I tried
> installing BOOTEASY by hand by running bootinst.exe with boot.bin.  No

Same here. I tried every damn combination of boot manager / standard MBR
on each drive, but I couldn't get Boot Easy to see the second FreeBSD hard
disk.. Bummer.

> difference.  Then I installed OSBS20BETA and lo-and-behold it saw the
> 2nd drive and its FreeBSD partition, allowing me to add it to the
> boot menu.  I rebooted and now I could get to the FreeBSD boot blocks,
> typing in: 1:wd(1,a)/kernel for a successful boot into FreeBSD.

I'll recommend the OSBS20BETA to my friend, and see if that works. I think
the hours of frustration have gotten to him, however, and he decided to
nuke win95 and use the first disk for FreeBSD. So, in a way, it turned out
to be a happy story :-)  Last I saw him, he was ranting about the
Microsoft philosphy of making it damn near impossible to boot another OS,
and how he refused "to accomodate M$"  :-)

For the record, I've happily used BOOTEASY on a single disk, with two
OS's, but all hell breaks loose when you try to setup multiple disks..

-Mark

> So just one bit of first-hand testimony that booteasy may not quite be
> a 100% solution. :-(
>
> 					Jordan

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer