Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 01:20:04 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Executor launch error, can't find libdb?

> *From the fingers of Mike Smith
> >> I'm attempting to run executor under XInsides' cde on Xaccel on a
> >> FreeBSD v2.2.5 system.  When I run executor it errors out:
> >>
> >> executor: can't load library 'libdb.so.2'
> >>
> >> I've located the library (from the RedHad distribution of Linux) and
> >> placed it in the /usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib directory with
> >> the libdb.so.1.85.1 file and the libdb.so.1 file that's a link to the
> >> 1.85.1 file.
> >
> >This directory is only searched for a.out binaries; isn't Executor ELF
> >these days?
>
> It's both, but I installed the a.out binaries because I wasn't sure about
> FreeBSD's support of ELF at this time.

FreeBSD supports ELF just fine.

> Would I have better luck running the ELF version?

I don't know.  As a general rule, avoid attempting to use a.out Linux
applications, as they are normally obsolete these days.

> >> I've also run the /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig.  But still executor gives
> >> me this same error.  What can I try now?
> >
> >When you ran ldconfig, did it create a libdb.so.2 symlink?  If not,
> >then it hasn't looked in the correct directory, and you may want to try
> >making it yourself.
>
> No it didn't, but then again I got a copy of libdb.so.2 from RedHat so I
> didn't think I would need a symlink since I have the file.  Also,
> according to the info on libdb versions after 1.86 are not compatible
> with versions before 1.85, 1.85 is what FreeBSD ships with.

If you got the library from RedHat, it is probably an ELF library.
Check with the 'file' command; if it is, you've put it in the wrong
place.  (And it won't work with your a.out executable).

> But even with the libdb.so.2 in the directory executor still errors out.
> ?
>
> -Sean

> Sean J. Schluntz                                    schluntz@pinpt.com
> Systems Engineer                                   (408) 997-6900 x222
> PinPoint Software Corporation                     http://www.pinpt.com

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\