Date:      Tue, 26 May 2015 18:14:05 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can we get some interaction between halt/reboot and bhyve?

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 8:08 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't shutdown be used instead of reboot/halt?  This allows
> various rc.d scripts to run, and you can use that to make sure all
> your bhyve instances are shutdown...

I wrote these rc.d scripts to start and stop bhyve VM's, so that
on system shutdown, all bhyve instances started with these scripts
are shutdown:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci/tree/master/vm/scripts/

I haven't tried them, but Michael Dexter has written more comprehensive
rc.d scripts from bhyve:

http://vmrc.bsd.lv/

rc.d scripts work well if you can live with the normal shutdown process
invoking rc.d scripts.
For my uses, I can live with shutdown and rc.d.

If you want to halt/reboot/poweroff, then you still have the original
problem that Paul pointed out.

--
Craig