Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:34:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Nate Williams wrote:

> > >   Thread 1:
> > >   ---------
> > >   /* munch some FP stuff */
> > >   pthread_yield();  /* allow thread 2 to run */
> > >   /* munch some more FP stuff */
> >
> > On which thread's behalf is this later munching being done?
>
> The original thread, per the comment's above.
>
> > > Assume that pthread_yield only saves the FP control word (which
> > > is what it does currently in libc_r).
> > >
> > >   Thread 2:
> > >   ---------
> > >   /* FP munchy munchy */
> > >   pthread_yield();   /* allow thread 1 to run */
> > >   /* FP munchy munch munch */
> >
> > ditto.. Are you suggesting that the FPU continues to operate on behalf
> > of the previous thread after the yield?
>
> That's not the way threaded programs work.  The yield's in the code
> allow a context switch to occur (if necessary), so that the other
> threads can do some work.
>
> Yield's are not strictly necessary, but often they can cause programs to
> behave better.
>
> Out of curiousity Julian, have you written much threaded code?

yes, in control apps
but My question was maybe misstated/misunderstood.

"Dan, In your example, are you indicating more munching on behalf
of thread 2 or continued munching in the FPU  as a carryover from
thread1? (lazy context swapping?)"

I understand the concepts I was just not sure which he
was representing..