Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:44:06 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Toddzila <toddzila@ici.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide cdrom

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 03:53:48PM -0500, Toddzila wrote:
> hi
> I have a IDE cdrom, that my bios doesn't reconize.  When I attempt to
> install free BSD the kernel knows its there, but after I decide what I
> want to install, and it writes the begining stuff to the hard drive, it
> stops at extracting bin.  My friend says it is because of the bios and
> that I don't have a driver.  I have version3.3.  Is there anything I can
> do or download to make this work short of buying a new mother board?

If the CDROM is not known to the BIOS, you can't boot from it. That's
all the BIOS influences. If the kernel detects it, you should be fine.

Could you give more detail about the boot messages that the kernel
gives when it detects the CDROM? When the install stops when
extracting the bin distribution, are there any messages on the screen?
If you hit Alt-F2 are there any messages?