Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:25:47 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too much spam from uu.net

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 06:11:25PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > It's very unlikely that the spam originates from anyone with a mailbox on
> > a UU.NET system.  You're probably seeing it from addresses which are in the
> > foo.DA.UU.NET or bar.MS.UU.NET which are PPP pool addresses used by resellers
> > of the dial network infrastructure.  These would include MSN, AOL, Earthlink,
> > the Well, WebTV and many others.

99% of which are vulnerable to a teardrop attack. Instant SPAM
cancel.

> Right, and I think I made this point in my original email.  Since
> they're clearly reselling to a lot of folks with no scruples WRT UCE
> at all, the easiest thing to do is simply block *.uu.net since I

I personally think you are cutting off too many people by blocking
uu.net. Uu.net is a *lot* of dialups I'm doubt uu.net has any con-
trol over spammers who open an account with MSN, connect and funnel
their spam to earthlink or some place in hungary. Spamming software
has gotten pretty good at what it does.