Date:      Sat, 05 Aug 2000 11:21:31 +1200 (NZST)
From:      "Mahoney, Richard B." <rbm49@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CMD 640 ATA controller !WARNING!

Dear Readers

I've recently replaced 3.4 Release with 4.0 Release on my elderly DEC
Venturis 5133. FreeBSD runs Emacs and Tex faster and more reliably than
was ever possible under the other OS. There is only one problem.

Under 3.4 the boot messages complained that my CMD 640 ATA
controller was rubbish. For all that, 3.4 made concessions for
substandard hardware. It seemed to include a workaround and my
CD-ROM worked.

I'm unhappy to say that this doesn't seem to be the case with 4.0.

When I boot under 4.0 I get:

atapci0: <CMD 640 ATA controller !WARNING! buggy chip data loss
    possible> irq 14 at device 8.0 on pci0
atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported

and later on:

ad0: 4126MB <ST34311A> [8944/15/63] at ata0-master using BIOSPIO
ad1: 1625MB <ST31722A> [3303/16/63] at ata0-slave using BIOSPIO
acd0: CDROM <ASUS CD-S400/A> at ata1-master using BIOSPIO

The upshot of all this is that if I am foolish enough to try to use my CD
the system will hang. With 4.0 I'd hoped to be able to liberate myself
from the other OS for ever. Now it seems I'm going to have to keep a DOS
partition merely for accessing the CD.

My question is:

Is there a workaround for this crappy controller which can be used
under 4.0 Release. I've been told that the contoller is stuck to the
motherboard and can't be replaced. And for all that, apart from this
problem, I'm rather attached to the old machine.

--
Regards Richard Mahoney