Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 14:13:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        root@Rigel.orionsys.com (David Babler)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port 137 access - somebody monkeying around?

David Babler wrote:

> Perhaps this might belong to FreeBSD-security, but what the hey - it
> involves ISPs too...
>
> My ipfw rules deny and log all services that I don't support here, and
> I've noticed that I will often see a string of access attempts on my port
> 137 (NetBIOS Name Service) from foreign addresses (not once from any of my
> dialup customers). I was under the impression that these contacts might be
> Bad Guys trying to take advantage of some known exploit, thinking I was
> running NT or something. Is that a valid assumption, or is there some

	microsoft machines trying to assimilate your site!  beware!

	seriously, it is hard to tell about intent with analyzing
	the packets that you see.

	there is/was one or more attacks you can mount against
	microsoft boxes by hitting port 137.

	microsoft boxes spew stuff to port 137 and 138 constantly.
	we seee these packets on both sides of our firewall.

	not too long ago, a university sysadmin was trying to use
	jetadmin (from hp) to admin our printers from across the
	internet.  ;)
jmb