Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:40:25 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "James Nobis" <quel@quelrod.net>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        dcswest@gmx.net
Subject:   Re: bcm4400 driver and Dell 8500

Hello James and Ken,

Both of you are having real problems with the bcm driver and both of you
have a Dell 8500.

This is James' dmesg output, which from memory looks very similar to your
Ken?

> bcm0: <Broadcom 10/100 Base-T Ethernet> mem 0xfaffe000-0xfaffffff irq 11
> at device 0.0 on pci2
> bcm0: Ethernet address: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> panic: bcm0: Strange type for core 0xffffffff

> I'm running 5.1-current from august 22nd.  I can try pulling down the
> latest 5.1 tommorow if you think this might help.  This is the same result
> as when I tried the driver from over a month ago.

We think that the problem is something to do with the PCI configuration of
the machine. The ethernet address being ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff indicates that the
memory map is not right.

> Before sending this email I was going to obtain a backtrace.  I recompiled
> with the symbol table and kernel debugger and now the driver appears to
> work fine.  Should it work this way?

Hmm interesting. Ken can you try this and see if the driver then works?

Duncan