Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:46:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Timby <btimby_indy@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install trouble.

Hello, I am attempting to install FreeBSD on a box I
just put together out of spare parts. I am using the
FreeBSD floppies to install release 4.4. The install
process always locks up near the end of the device
probe. It always stops after the ppc0 (parallel port)
I have followed the troubleshooting instructions in
the handbook, but cannot get the install to work. My
hardware is on the HCL, I have an Asus P2B-LS
motherboard, w/ integrated SCSI (Adaptec AIC-7890),
integrated NIC (not sure, but probe detects it as a:
fxp0: Intel Pro 10/100), ESLA Vanta TNT VGA, 4
harddrives: 3 IBM ultrastars, and a Seagate Baracuda.
I have swapped all components (except motherboard) and
run without harddrives, and I always get a lockup
during probe. The results that I can see do no show
any IRQ conflicts. I have also flashed my ROM BIOS and
SCSI BOIS to the latest versions. My next step (what I
will be doing while waiting for replies) is to install
windows to make sure there are no conflicts. Does
anyone have any other suggestions? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

advTHANKSance.
Ben Timby.