Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:00:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rknebel@uplink.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharity light

Rick Knebel wrote,
> Hi,
> I am running samba and can connect to my mac and win box with it using
> smbclient.
>
> I am trying to use sharity light to mount the mac and win partitions.
>

> When I type this in
> /usr/local/sbin/shlight  //sknebel/Mac /home/rknebel/samba/Mac -n
>
> I get sknebel unknown host.
>
> What am I missing.
> I can connect to sknebel fin with smbclient.

On the smbmount(8) manpage,

      "servicename
          servicename  is the name of the service you want to use
          on the server. It takes the form //server/service/root-
          dir  where server is the name of the Lan Manager server
          offering the desired service and service is the name of
          the  service offered...

          Currently smbmount uses gethostbyname() to find the  IP
          number  of the desired host. It is thus not really com-
          patible with Lan Manager conventions, where the netbios
          name  of  the server is not necessarily the same as the
          hostname. In environments which enforce a netbios  name
          that's  different  than the hostname, you should use -s
          and -c to simulate appropriate behaviour."

That is, you need to use the DNS name or IP address of sever and _NOT_
the NetBIOS name if it is different from the DNS name.

This is the _opposite_ of Samba, e.g. from smbclient(1),

      "servicename
              servicename is the name of the service you want  to
              use  on  the  server. A service name takes the form
              //server/service where server is the  NetBIOS  name
              of the SMB/CIFS server offering the desired service
              and service is the name  of  the  service  offered.
              Note that the server name required is NOT necessar-
              ily the IP (DNS) host name of the server ! The name
              required is a NetBIOS server name, which may or may
              not be the same as the IP hostname of  the  machine
              running the server."