Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:03:42 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP <lyndon@orthanc.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> I'm not sure that the safety trade-off here makes it anything I'd ever
> want to deliberately encourage anyone to do.  I mean, if you still
> *really* wanted to do it then you could just move the relevant obj
> directory aside (and I'm sure a studly guy like Nate could make a
> shell function out if it so that he never had to know the
> corresponding obj dir location).

This is really hollering for an implementation of stackable mounts.
(Or translucent mounts, or whatever the current buzzword for it is.)
Stacked mounts are one of the joys of Plan 9, and we could do well
by following their lead. (Wasn't there broken FS code in 4.4 that
tried to implement something like this? It's been a while since I
looked at a raw 4.4 source tree ...)

I'm sure Terry can comment on this :-)

--lyndon