Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 06:48:35 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "peter harmsen" <wshamean115@hotmail.com>, wmoran@iowna.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp

During FreeBSD installation, you have the option to set up DHCP.
To re-run this process, enter /stand/sysinstall and then go to
"configure", then "network interfaces" then select the network card,
When asked if you want to use DHCP, say yes, and the card will
be set up.
If you want to verify or configure it the "manual way", what sysinstall
does when you do this is edit the file /etc/rc.conf which has a lot of
FreeBSD's startup config in it. There should be a line something like:
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
This line might not look exactly like this, it might say ifconfig_xl0 or
ifconfig_ed0 depending on what driver is needed for your network
card.  Once this is done, a reboot should have things working.

-Bill

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services