Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:16:11 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dead mouse (actually I guess it's spasmodic)

I just bought a PC Concepts optical mouse and it works fine on Windows
98, but it fails to be usable with FreeBSD. I tried all of the
protocol options offered by sysinstall and all (except "auto") worked
the same. The mouse would move normally up and to the right, but any
movement down or to the left resulted in the cursor moving to the
bottom or left edge o the screen.

"Auto" was stranger with the mouse jumping around wildly and parts of
the syscons going to inverse video plus random characters appearing
on the screen.

Since it simply works on Windows (no software changes), I am baffled
that it fails so miserably under FreeBSD. Has anyone seen this? Any
fix/work-around?

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)